Pages

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Five Things (Including Spoons)


The artful and talented Mary Buek asked me to play tag and share with you five unusual things about me. My blog posting has been limited while I work toward completing my Big Writing Project offline, so I'm happy to play, if only for a change of pace.

I don't know how unusual any of these things really are, but here goes:
  • None of my spoons match. When Dragonstar was younger (and really, even now) she would use the spoons in the flatware drawer as digging implements. Out the door they'd go, never to return. So I began buying handfuls of assorted spoons at the thrift store. Now we all have our favorites, which is really much more fun than having every spoon the same. Maybe I could encourage her to dig with our forks next.
  • I played the role of Hamlet in a school play. Alas, poor Yorrick.
  • I used to be on the radio. I did morning shows in Southern California and played cowboy music in Phoenix.
  • I was president of my junior high student council. One of my campaign promises was to get the doors on the women's restroom stalls re-installed. They had all been removed years before, in a rude display of administrative authority. I was a notorious student, a known pot smoker and class-skipper whose locker was searched on a regular basis. The students didn't care about that. I won the election and got those restroom stall doors replaced. (Can you tell this is still a point of pride for me?)
  • I like the smell of gasoline and the smell of old tires. There's a story there. I'll share it sometime.
Since this is a game of tag, if you' d like to play, consider yourself tagged, and link back so I can visit you and see just how unusual you are.

2 comments:

  1. Great five things. . . thanks for playing along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jr. High bathroom doors are such a strong symbol of what is wrong with the schools. I just can't even imagine having my first, or even one hundredth period with no doors on the bathroom stalls. I'm glad you got them reinstalled - you should still be proud of that. And really, as unschoolers, we are still installing those doors for our kids, aren't we?

    I just love the symbolism in this.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.