Pages

Sunday, December 28, 2008

15 Things I Learned in 2008*

  1. I don't always want what I think I want. For some reason I keep learning this one over and over.
  2. Buying a house is like renting a house. You just have a different landlord.
  3. Even with a reel mower I don't like mowing the yard in August.
  4. Traveling by train could be awesome. I hear it's awesome elsewhere. The Amtrak from Flagstaff, Arizona to St. Louis? Meh.
  5. Gas at four dollars a gallon will still get me where I need to go. Turns out I need to go to far fewer places than I thought I did.
  6. I'm a lazy gardener.
  7. Scottsdale, Arizona, has an amazing Art Walk.
  8. You can make a great tomato sauce by roasting canned tomatoes with onions, garlic, olive oil and basil. Toss everything in a glass baking dish. Be generous with the olive oil. Leave it uncovered. Put it in the oven at 300 degrees or so. Give it a couple hours. Stir it once in awhile. Puree it in a blender when it's done. Delicious.
  9. Meeting cool people -- online and in real life -- is one of the best things about unschooling.
  10. It's also one of the best things about blogging.
  11. I miss working in community radio.
  12. Sometimes problems are so intrinsic, or so intransigent, they're not problems anymore, they're just facts.
  13. Sometimes I'm the problem.
  14. Sometimes there is no problem, just a set of mind-forg'd manacles.
  15. Whoopie cushions make outstanding Christmas gifts.
* with a tip of the winter-weather sock cap to the awesome Communicatrix, who posts her list of 100 (!!) such things at the end of each year, and has been doing it since 2004, and puts my meager attempt to shame...

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the sauce recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! From little acorns, etc., etc.!

    Glad to see you pick up the gauntlet. They're fun...and addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somehow I missed your post until today. (Seems we were among good company reflecting on the past year.) Happy 2009!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.