Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Snow Day

If I'd known it was going to snow this much I would have bought some boots.

The forecast was for less than an inch. From the looks of Yard Kitty, we got considerably more than that.

I was not prepared.

So it's a Snow Day, and the neighborhood kids are happy. I see them trudge up the street with their sleds, on their way to the hill overlooking the old lock and dam. One little boy pulls a white plastic laundry basket with a rope. Resourceful.

Power is out all over the city, including most of the houses in our neighborhood, but ours is so far unaffected. Either it's a miracle, or that charm I placed on our little bungalow last year when we went on vacation is more powerful than I realized.

Next door my neighbor wrestles with a generator. He and a friend pulled a little red wagon down the block to retrieve the generator from the friend's house; with all the fallen branches it was easier than driving. He has already lit a fire in his fireplace. He invited us to come over and share the warmth. I felt almost guilty telling him my furnace is still operating.

The day's plans are tossed aside for a snowball fight and digging the van out of a drift. We'll return soon enough to our regularly scheduled lives, and so will all the neighborhood kids. But for the time being -- through the end of the week, at least -- it looks like we're all unschoolers.

Everybody say Amen.

4 comments:

  1. Only the big snows are worthwhile. . . when you get to stay home, play in the snow, sit by the fire (or furnace), and not worry too much about the rest of the world for a while. Those little half-inch shows, or around here, even the two- and three-inch snows, just mess things up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha. I'm from around Buffalo, Mary, where 2-3" barely counts as a "dusting." Around here that much will have schools and libraries closed and people stocking their pantries. This one was about 6" and came with lots of ice. The county is in emergency mode -- no unnecessary travel, etc. Northerners think we're wimpy, but the neighborhood kids and I are liking it just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean. In 2000, there was a really bad snowstorm in Chicago. The neighborhood I lived in was sans power for a week--not the most ideal way to ring in the new millennium.

    In the almost seven years that I've lived in the south, only once have I seen hit the ground... And it was gone by noon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen, sister! So, has it melted yet? Has everyone else returned to being un-unschoolers?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.