Pages

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Equilibrium

It's easy to love the autumn. Are you sighing with relief, too? It's been an unsettled year. Unsettled, unsettling. Summer brings out the worst in us, I think.

But now it's fall, when things come back down to the ground.

The other day I saw a squirrel going up a utility pole carrying an unshelled walnut as big as its head. Pretty adorable. The funny-looking winter squashes are in the supermarket, soup is on the menu again, pumpkins are showing up on porches.

It's all so reassuring.

Yes, yes, it's a passing thing. The arrival of autumn means winter is coming. And winter is a tougher love. But everything's a passing thing, and we'll get to winter in due time.

Meanwhile, leaves are falling, just like embers, as Rowland Salley wrote in "Killing the Blues," a great autumn song that doesn't have much to do with autumn beyond its opening line, but has everything to do with changes. John Prine does a great version. Shawn Colvin, too. (Robert Plant and Alison Krause, not so much.)

Anyway, autumn. The bittersweet season. Find some balance while you can.

That's all.

1 comment:

  1. I've always loved the autumn. It feels peaceful to me. September is my least favourite month of the year for many reasons and this year it has been awful. I shall be glad when the end of summer finishes and autumn arrives properly so that I can feel refreshed and renwewed - and odd thing to say when the leaves are falling I know, but thats just the way I am. I think autumn holds promise of the future - all things must pass to make way for the new.

    Sorry for rambling - odd modd tonight :-)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.